5.26.2011

2011 books: part 1

One of my goals for this year was to read more non-school books.  A book a month has not been my practice, and considering the girth of my textbooks last semester and this summer semester, I decided not to be too hard on myself about it.  Here's what I have been into, though....

For January, I read Laurie Colwin's Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen.  It and a few of her other books were recommended to me by my mother in law, Judy, when Blake and I were in Wichita for Christmas.


Ms. Colwin wrote mostly fiction, but this particular book is a collection of some of her essays on food and cooking for friends and family.  I found it hilarious and entertaining (especially for those interested in cooking and how good food brings people together).  It was warm and personable and reminded me of some of my own misadventures in front of the stove.  

Laurie Colwin died at the young age of 48, leaving her husband and young daughter and many fans of her prose saddened and wondering why.  You can read more about her story here.

I highly recommend this -- it's a quick read and very culinary-ly inspiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by!